Pages

lundi 27 juillet 2015

Modern sampler in progress

I was looking for an idea to make a new quilt for my youngest son. I made him a quilt when he was four years old and he is now already a teenager !
Je cherchais une idée pour un nouveau quilt pour mon plus jeune fils. Je lui ai fait une couverture quand il avait quatre ans et c'est maintenant déjà un ado !


Country style quilt - Detail

Since I didn't want to repeat the same block, I was looking for a sampler quilt project. Not a traditional sampler, but something modern. When I saw Tula Pink "City Sampler" I thought it was the kind of project that matches my style. Not the colors. But I like her minimalist blocks and the modern look of the quilt.
Comme je n'avais pas envie de répéter le même bloc, je cherchais un projet de sampler. Pas un sampler traditionnel, mais quelque chose de moderne. Quand j'ai vu le quilt "City Sampler" de Tula Pink, j'ai trouvé que c'était le genre de projet qui correspondait à mon style. Pas les couleurs. Mais j'aime ses blocs minimalistes et le le style moderne du quilt.

Sara has a "City Sampler sew along" on her blog Sew Sweetness and I picked up some blocks among the hundred blocks of the original quilt.
Sara propose un "City Sampler sew along" (je pense qu'on pourrait traduire par "quiltons ensemble") sur son blog Sew Sweetness et j'ai repris quelques blocs parmi les cent blocs du quilt original.

Here are the first four blocks. I chose to piece directly the background fabric to each block. I will add little scraps to the background fabric as you can see in three of these blocks.
Voici les quatre premiers blocs. J'ai choisi d'assembler directement le tissu de fond à chaque bloc. Je vais ajouter des petites pièces dans le tissu de fond comme vous pouvez le voir dans trois de ces blocs.


Modern sampler quilt - Block #1 - Inspired by Tula Pink City Sampler

Modern sampler quilt - Block #2 - Inspired by Tula Pink City Sampler

Modern sampler quilt - Block #3 - Inspired by Tula Pink City Sampler

Modern sampler quilt - Block #4 - Inspired by Tula Pink City Sampler

And I define the place of each block as the project progresses. I prefer working that way.
Et je définis la place de chaque bloc au fur et à mesure de l'avancement. Je préfère travailler de cette manière.

Well, it is easier and faster than a Dear Jane quilt ... I am spending more time in choosing fabrics for each block than piecing them !
Bon, c'est plus simple et rapide qu'un quilt Dear Jane ... Je passe plus de temps à choisir les tissus pour chaque bloc qu'à les piécer !

Some of my friends have made really gorgeous Dear Jane quilts. I even started one some years ago. Actually I made a bunch of blocks ... So much work before I noticed It was to traditional and not my style at all ;-)
Quelques unes de mes amies ont réalisé des Dear Jane magnifiques. J'en ai même commencé un moi aussi il y a quelques années. En fait, j'ai déjà une pile de blocs ... Tant de travail avant de me rendre compte que c'était trop traditionnel et pas du tout mon style ;-)

Here is one of Nina's Dear Jane quilts. You read it ! She made two ...
Voici un des quilts Dear Jane de Nina. Vous avez bien lu ! Elle en a fait deux ...


Dear Jane quilt in neutral tones - Nina Viret

Linking up to WIP WednesdaySew Cute Tuesday and with Kelly at NTT.