Pages

mercredi 27 janvier 2016

Purse organizer

Purse organiser - S.O.T.A.K Handmade pattern -  British Invasion from Riley Blake Designs - Girly London theme pouch

I wanted to sew gifts for two of my friends. I remembered seeing a collection from Riley Blake Designs, British Invasion, a little while ago. I loved it right away but had no idea to use these prints by then.

J'avais envie de réaliser des cadeaux pour deux de mes amies. Je me suis rappelée avoir vu cette collection de Riley Blake Designs, British Invasion, il y a quelques temps. Je l'ai adorée tout de suite mais, à ce moment-là, je n'avais pas d'idée pour utiliser ces imprimés. 

British Invasion fabric collection from Riley Blake Designs

No fabric could fit better : my friends love PINK, GIRLY things and LONDON ! ;-) Fortunately I found a shop which still got some in stock and ordered a fat quarter bundle (on sale, yeah !). The new purse organizer pattern by Svetlana of s.o.t.a.k handmade was perfect for this project as well (a lot of pockets to store small things ...).

Aucun tissu ne pouvais mieux aller : mes amies adorent le ROSE, les trucs GIRLY et LONDRES ! ;-) Par chance, j'ai trouvé un magasin qui en avait encore en stock et j'ai commandé un lot de fat quarters (en solde, yeah !). Le nouveau patron, purse organizer, de Svetlana de s.o.t.a.k handmade était aussi parfait pour ce projet (plein de poches pour ranger des petits trucs ... ).

Purse organiser - S.O.T.A.K Handmade pattern -  British Invasion from Riley Blake Designs - Girly London theme pouch

I decided to make three pouches (one is for me) at the same time. That meant sewing nine zippers ... Oops !
J'ai décidé de réaliser trois pochettes (il y en a une pour moi) en parallèle. Cela signifiait coudre neuf fermetures Eclair ... Oups !

Purse organiser - S.O.T.A.K Handmade pattern -  British Invasion from Riley Blake Designs - Girly London theme pouch

I followed Svetlana's advice and marked all the pieces. I am not very logical when it comes to make a pouch. So three ...
J'ai suivi le conseil de Svetlana et marqué toutes les pièces. Je ne suis pas très logique quand il s'agit de réaliser une pochette. Alors trois  ... 

Work in progress - Purse organiser - All pieces cutted

I had no trouble with the mesh fabric, except finding it ... I first ordered a piece (here in Switzerland) that turned out to be mosquito net, too stiff for such use ... Then I bought a yard at fabric.com (in the US). I sewed the pockets for the three pouches but I was not really happy with how it turned out. I thought the mesh was not thin enough. At that point I contacted Svetlana (I should have done it first ... ) : I unstitched the three pockets and used a piece of mesh laundry bag (I can find easily at our local stores :-) !) as she suggested.

Je n'ai pas eu de problème avec le tissu filet, excepté pour le trouver ... J'ai d'abord commandé un morceau (ici en Suisse) qui s'est avéré être de la moustiquaire, trop rigide pour cette utilisation ... J'en ai ensuite acheté un yard chez fabric.com (aux Etats-Unis). J'ai cousu les poches pour les trois trousses, mais je n'étais pas vraiment satisfaite du résultat. Je trouvais la maille pas assez fine. A ce stade, j'ai contacté Svetlana (j'aurais dû commencer par là ... ) :  j'ai décousu les trois poches et utilisé un morceau de filet de lavage en maille (que je peux trouver facilement dans les magasins de la région :-) ! ) comme elle me l'a suggéré.


BEFORE / AVANT

Work in progress - Purse organiser - Mesh pocket

AFTER / APRES

Work in progress - Purse organiser - Mesh pocket

To make it easier to stitch the binding of the mesh pockets, I sewed on a stabilizer for embroidery and then teared it away.
Pour faciliter la couture du binding sur les poches en tissu filet, j'ai cousu sur un stabilisateur pour broderie et je l'ai enlevé ensuite.


Work in progress - Purse organiser - Binding stitching

Work in progress - Purse organiser - Binding stitching

It was my first time sewing a zipper in the middle of a piece. That was for me the most complicated part of the process and the result is far from being perfect ...
C'était la première fois que je cousais une fermeture Eclair au milieu d'une pièce. C'était pour moi la partie la plus compliquée de la réalisation et le résultat est loin d'être parfait ...


Purse organiser - S.O.T.A.K Handmade pattern -  British Invasion from Riley Blake Designs - Girly London theme pouch

I made some minor changes to the pattern : 
J'ai apporté quelques modifications mineures au modèle :

  • I preferred to attach a velcro rather than a snap fastener to close the pocket on the backside.
     j'ai préféré poser un velcro qu'un bouton pression pour fermer la poche arrière.

Work in progress - Purse organiser - Velcro closure


  • I had to slightly reduce the width indicated on the pattern for the pocket opening. I guess the zippers we commonly find here are a little narrower.
    J'ai dû réduire légèrement la largeur indiquée sur le modèle pour l'ouverture de la poche. Je pense que les fermetures Eclair que nous trouvons couramment ici sont un peu plus étroites.

Work in progress - Purse organiser - Inside

Back / dos

Purse organiser - S.O.T.A.K Handmade pattern -  British Invasion from Riley Blake Designs - Girly London theme pouch

For my pouch, I did not use the same fabric for the two exterior pockets. Taxis and buses for the front, sights for the back. Actually, I had no choice since I wanted to keep the direction of the prints ...
Pour ma trousse, je n'ai pas utilisé le même tissu pour les deux poches extérieures. Taxis et bus pour le devant, monuments pour le dos. En fait, comme je voulais garder le sens des imprimés, je n'avais pas d'autre choix ...

Purse organiser - S.O.T.A.K Handmade pattern -  British Invasion from Riley Blake Designs - Girly London theme pouch


I can check off project #1 of my list for the first quarter of Finish-Along 2016 :-))
Je peux cocher le projet #1 de ma liste pour le premier trimestre du Finish-Along 2016 :-))


I am linking up with Kelly for NTT and Amanda Jean for Finish it up Friday.


2016 FAL